Job Title: Systems Engineer
Location: Stevenage or Edinburgh
Job Type: Permanent
At LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
This role provides technical computational and IT influence and impact for the Data Sciences Group to enable the Group (and LifeArc scientists more generally) to function more effectively in capturing, integrating, visualising, and analysing drug discovery and other scientific data. This role also applies technical knowledge to influence strategic planning and decision-making across LifeArc.
- Responsible for ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of key elements of our software infrastructure as used both within the DS team and across the organisation
- Provides technical input and expertise to feed into strategic decision-making across LifeArc
- Identifies new opportunities in scientific software, data infrastructure and data sciences that impact on LifeArc’s strategic needs and goals
- Applies technical knowledge to set up, maintain and improve/enhance key infrastructure such as VMs, databases, compute resources, license servers, lab equipment, commercial software
- Drive the deployment and application of new software and workflows to enable services useful to the data sciences group
- Uses technical/programming skills to develop tools, workflows and applications that enable the Data Sciences group and LifeArc scientists to work more efficiently and to maximise the value of the data we generate
Education & experience required:
- First and preferably higher degree in relevant discipline e.g. cheminformatics, bioinformatics, computer science or equivalent experience
- Evidence via vocational qualifications of expertise in relevant areas of technology (not essential)
- Practical expertise working with Linux computers, familiarity with Windows-based systems
- Has practical experience working in a drug discovery, biotech or related academic/not-for-profit environment and so is able to understand scientific drivers
- Practical experience using REST-API web services, ideally those relevant to drug discovery (e.g. PDB, ChEMBL, Open Targets)
- Experience working with cloud compute environments (ideally Azure)
- Experience with data processing/database/workflow software commonly used in Pharma/biotech would be a definite advantage (e.g. CDD, Dotmatics, Pipeline Pilot, KNIME)
- Experience with other relevant scientific software (Biovia ELN, Cresset, Schrodinger)
Skills & abilities:
- Familiar with database setup and access (fluent in SQL)
- Scripting/programming skills in Python, Bash or R
- Able to work independently, to manage your time and work to deadlines
- Strong team player
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Knowledge of version control (e.g. git)
- Familiar with deployment tools such as Ansible or Docker
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, for example, are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At LifeArc we are dedicated in building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate and you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.
Apply now - and start translating your potential!
Please note we are actively recruiting, and the closing date may be brought forward if we find the right person for this role.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.