Job Title: Scientist – Integrated Diagnostics (IDx)
Job Type: 12 Month Fixed Term Contract
LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
LifeArc’s Integrated Diagnostics (IDx) operates at the interface between academic research and the diagnostic industry. We offer collaborative diagnostic assay development and helping translate early-stage diagnostic research through to its commercial exploitation and use in the clinic.
The IDx team support a wide range of diagnostic technologies with a current focus on developing molecular diagnostics where there is an unmet clinical need in areas such as infectious disease, oncology, and inflammatory disease. Our current projects include the development, verification of qPCR and digital PCR assays, as well as Next Generation Sequencing pipelines.
The role will be primarily lab based with office time for data analysis and report writing.
Core responsibilities will include conducing molecular biology experiments, recording, analysing and reporting data.
There are no supervisory responsibilities expected of this role however on occasions an individual maybe expected to supervise other team members or interns/students during training e.g. on a specific methodology/item of equipment or software
Perform specialised and non-routine experiments and demonstrate an understanding of the scientific rationale of your assigned project(s)
- A demonstrable knowledge of current molecular biology methods e.g. nucleic extraction methods, PCR or qPCR techniques.
- Experience of implementing modifications/improvements to existing laboratory methodologies.
- Practical research experience
- Ability to work compliantly in accordance with Quality Systems and Policies in line with ISO13485 standards
- Ability to work across complex projects and to have attention to detail Troubleshooting technical issues.
- Experience of product development
- Strong communication skills (report writing/presenting)
- Knowledge of bioinformatics, manipulation of sequence data and analysis of assay performance.
- Experience in diagnostic assay development
- Experience with the development of PCR chemistries for diagnostic assays
- Experience with stabilisation of diagnostic assays.
- Experience in verification of molecular diagnostic assays
- Experience with test method and equipment validation
- PhD in Life Sciences or equivalent experience in a non-academic setting.
- Computer literate (demonstrable knowledge of MS Office applications, some familiarity with web-based applications e.g. UCSC browser, NCBI)
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, for example, are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At LifeArc we are dedicated in building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate and you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.
Apply now - and start translating your potential!
Please note we are actively recruiting, and the closing date may be brought forward if we find the right person for this role.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.