Job Title: Scientist Biological Assay Development and Screening
Job Type: Permanent
Agencies: We will only work with recruitment partners on our preferred supplier list and will not engage with speculative CVs submitted.
LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
As Biological Assay Development and Screening Scientist in LifeArc’s Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology (MCP) group, you will be part of a core platform that supports the generation of key reagents and assay data for ongoing drug discovery programs. As part of this predominantly laboratory-based role, you will be expected to independently perform flow cytometry-based experiments, mammalian cell culture, biological assay development, and screening/profiling of small molecule and antibody candidates, and to analyse and communicate the resulting data. More senior candidates will also be expected to contribute to the scientific rationale of projects and apply specialist knowledge of scientific techniques to drive projects forward. You will be a professional who is able to perform specialised and non-routine experiments (with or without supervision, depending on level of experience) and demonstrates an understanding of the scientific rationale of the assigned project(s). You will work closely with the relevant project teams to support work on patient-focussed programs across LifeArc’s Translational Challenges. We encourage candidates to apply even when they do not meet all the requirements.
- Good working knowledge of cellular assay development in the context of the identification and characterisation of new therapeutics (biologics and/or small molecules).
- Good working knowledge of multi-colour flow cytometry and/or high throughput flow cytometry (e.g. on iQue3 or similar), including data analysis
- Hands-on experience with transfection of mammalian cell lines, generation and characterisation of mammalian cell lines (overexpressing cell lines, genetic engineering).
- Demonstrable experience with standard molecular biology techniques (such as qPCR, Western Blotting, etc.)
- Organised and meticulous.
- Attention to detail and accurate.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Excellent communicator – both verbal and written.
- Intellectual curiosity.
- Critical and analytical thinker, strong problem solver.
- Supervisory/management experience of junior scientists
- Experience of drug discovery in pharma or biotech
- Experience in working with primary mammalian/human cells
- Working knowledge of fluorescence microscopy techniques and experimental designs.
- BSc/MSc and either PhD in a relevant biological discipline or proven equivalent experience in related subject
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? At LifeArc we are dedicated in building an inclusive workplace and a diverse workforce that can bring a range of skills, new ideas and innovative thinking to our work. So, whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role, but perhaps feel you don’t meet every requirement in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate, and you may be just the right person for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.