Job Title: Protein Scientist (Biologics)
Job Type: Maternity Cover
At LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
We are looking for a professional who is able to perform specialised and non-routine experiments and demonstrate an understanding of the scientific rationale of the assigned project(s). As a member of our ‘Protein Science for Biologics’ group, you will be part of a core platform that supports all antibody-related activities including protein production, antibody profiling (developability)/CMC de-risking, antigen generation, and/or protein engineering. All our processes are conducted to an industry-like template, and you will work closely with our project teams to support work across our three strategic pillars: impact with partners, translational challenges, and/or early ventures
Key accountability include:
- Provide protein and/or antibody engineering solutions
- Design constructs (using predictive and/or structural-based tools) for recombinant protein production
- Express target proteins/antibodies using mammalian-based expression systems for protein production
- Purify target proteins/antibodies using FPLC (AKTA)-based systems in a batch-controlled and time-bound fashion
- Deliver high-quality protein reagents for the purpose of antibody generation (immunisation) and antibody screening
- Perform relevant structural or functional quality control to include kinetics, light scattering, HPLC-SEC, circular dichroism, fluorescence and/or ELISA
- Conduct research/development work in assigned area
- Experience of working in research or industry
- An extensive working knowledge across a range of practical skills, with evidence of assay development or troubleshooting
- Good understanding of antibody discovery, antibody structure or structure-function relationships
- Molecular biology to include RNA/DNA isolation, PCR, cloning, mutagenesis, sequence data analysis and vector design
- Protein biochemistry, such as ELISA, Flow cytometry and SPR/BLI
- Intellectual curiosity
- Willingness to embrace opportunities to expand skills with new methods or equipment.
- Self-motivated and adaptable, with the organisational skills necessary to work to deadlines and on multiple projects.
- Critical and analytical thinker.
- Attention to detail essential for accurate following of directions and recording of experimental methods and data.
- Skilled in data handling and interpretation.
- Evidence of successful collaboration and ability to work well within a team. This will include good communication skills and confident presentation of data
- Practical experience within a transfection or drug discovery setting
- Experience in reagent generation, antibody expression, engineering, screening and/or characterisation
- Experience in a high throughput method with associated data capture and handling
- Experience of biophysical techniques
- Mammalian cell culture and transfection
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, for example, are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At LifeArc we are dedicated in building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate and you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.
Apply now - and start translating your potential!
Please note we are actively recruiting, and the closing date may be brought forward if we find the right person for this role.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.