Job Title: Principal Scientist – Medicinal Chemistry
Job Type: Permanent
At LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
This role sits within the newly formed Chemical Biology team, leading a team of medicinal chemists. The successful candidate will demonstrate extensive knowledge across small molecule drug discovery and optimisation, including development of recent modalities including protein degradation and drug conjugation strategies, and be expected to independently develop and direct specialised non-routine drug discovery strategies. There is also the scope to lead the scientific rationale of one or more projects or lead across multiple projects in a specialised scientific field.
Education & experience required:
- Theoretical and practical scientific knowledge and expertise/experience typical of a PhD or equivalent practical work experience (>10 years, including PhD if relevant) in small molecule drug discovery and medicinal chemistry.
- Additional experience in small molecule/protein combinations, antibody or other therapeutic modality drug discovery is desirable
- Significant scientific project experience
- A track record of leading projects or large components of projects that demonstrate the creation of novel solutions to complex problems
- Experience coaching and mentoring others
- Experience in technical leadership of multidisciplinary projects through to delivery
- Experience of line management desirable
Skills & abilities:
- Comfortable with ambiguity and resilience in the face of unfavourable outcomes.
- Attention to detail.
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to apply knowledge/experience to work within areas outside of owns immediate expertise
- Critical and analytical thinker, strong problem solver.
- Organised and meticulous.
- Detail orientated and accurate.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to accurately follow directions.
- Excellent communicator – both verbal and written
- Ability to influence and persuade others.
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, for example, are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At LifeArc we are dedicated in building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate and you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.
Apply now - and start translating your potential!
Please note we are actively recruiting, and the closing date may be brought forward if we find the right person for this role.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.