Job Title: Machine Learning Scientist
Location: Stevenage or Edinburgh
Job Type: Permanent
At LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
This role applies machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) expertise to fully exploit the data that we generate by building predictive computational models that drive scientific advantage.
- Responsible for applying ML/AI methods to generate additional value from the data generated by LifeArc projects, platforms and collaborators
- Identifies new opportunities where ML/AI methods can be applied
- Keeps up to date with current ML/AI approaches and bring new technologies in-house for evaluation and subsequent application
- Works across Data Science and within relevant LifeArc project teams to ensure the proper application of ML/AI methods and resulting models
- Contributes expertise to the assessment and due diligence of potential external opportunities that use/develop ML/AI methods
Skills & abilities:
- Expertise in performing high-quality research using data analytics, statistics, machine learning and AI methods
- A high level of proficiency in programming (Python and/or R plus possibly other languages) and practical experience using deep learning libraries such as scikit-learn, pytorch, tensorflow
- Able to work independently, to manage your time and work to deadlines
- Strong team player, both within own discipline and multi-disciplinary/matrix’
- Strong communication skills, both presentations and verbal
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to influence and persuade others
- Knowledge of version control (e.g. git)
- Ability to collaborate across multidisciplinary areas of biomedical research
- Experience working in a team-oriented environment
- Experience working in a drug discovery environment
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, for example, are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At LifeArc we are dedicated in building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate and you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.
Apply now - and start translating your potential!
Please note we are actively recruiting, and the closing date may be brought forward if we find the right person for this role.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.