Job Title: Governance Officer
Job Type: Permanent
Agencies: We will only work with recruitment partners on our preferred supplier list and will not engage with speculative CVs submitted.
LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
This is an exciting time to join LifeArc as we pursue LifeArc’s ambition to invest up to £1.3 billion by 2030 to transform promising life science ideas into life-changing medical breakthroughs for patients, faster.
LifeArc’s mission is to unlock the potential of scientific research by bridging the translational gap between the early research/discovery phase and the development phase, so that commercial and other partners can progress the next generation of diagnostics, treatments and cures through the regulatory pathway to patients.
Our work to date has led to four licensed medicines, a further eight potential new medicines in clinical trials and many new innovative approaches along the translation journey.
Our new strategy – making life science life changing – commits significant investment to help address areas of high patient need, working across three strategic pillars:
- Impact with Partners: working in partnership with other medical research organisations to advance the innovative science and ideas being explored by academia, charities and patient groups. We will build on our legacy of creating successful partnerships to help ensure more innovations benefit patients and society, faster.
- Translational Challenges: mobilising collaborations around translational challenges to solve urgent healthcare problems. We aim to work with others to connect and unlock the potential of scientific innovations to solve complex healthcare problems.
- Early Ventures: investing in early life science ventures, bridging the gap between academic innovation and venture funding. We will provide a much-needed source of investment for young companies developing products and technologies with the potential to transform patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
This role will report into the Head of Governance supporting him/her to run a high performing company secretariat function.
The Governance Officer will be expected to carry out day to day company secretarial tasks with minimal supervision.
They will be expected to contribute to the Department’s plans for continual improvement by suggesting better ways of working.
This would be a good role for someone looking to grow and who already has some experience of committee support and exposure to senior colleagues.
- Maintaining statutory books and making submissions to Companies House and the Charity Commission as required for LifeArc and its subsidiary.
- Maintaining and developing departmental process documents and checklists
- Maintaining the corporate Calendar
- Overseeing maintenance of corporate policies
- Supporting colleagues with preparation for the Board and Committees
- Providing content on governance related matters for the Annual Report, LifeArc’s website and Intranet
- Acting as first point of contact for the Department
- Carrying out formalities relating to Trustee appointments, induction and training
- Liaising with the Events team on logistical organisation for Board meetings outside London (Two per year) and other events
- This person will be expected to run processes and everyday procedures with minimum supervision.
- The Head of Governance will provide direction and encourage development.
- Within agreed parameters, the role holder would be expected to take decisions on every-day matters and propose solutions to related problems
Education & experience required:
- Well educated with a good first degree
- Hold a qualification from the Chartered Governance Institute or equivalent. (Part qualified if accompanied by some experience will be considered.)
Skills & abilities:
- Experience of working in a Company Secretariat with responsibilities for day-to-day tasks
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Good minute drafting skills
- Someone who likes change and can see the opportunities associated with it
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, for example, are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At LifeArc we are dedicated in building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate and you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.