Job Title: Cheminformatics – Senior Scientist
Location: Stevenage or Edinburgh
Job Type: Permanent
At LifeArc, we want to hear from people who are as passionate as we are about making life science life changing that can improve patients’ lives.
A bit about the role:
We are seeking a Cheminformatician to join the Data Science team at LifeArc to provide practical and theoretical expertise in computational chemistry and molecular modelling to support the progression of LifeArc projects and to ensure that we remain at the forefront in our use of modelling technologies.
Providing cheminformatics expertise to enable the progression of projects, and LifeArc platform capabilities including:
- Data analysis to discover key findings and opportunities
- Develop and deploy models using methods such as QSAR and machine learning to enable rational compound design and property prediction
- Work closely with project team members to propose new compounds and experiments
- Identify and critically evaluate new cheminformatics methods and software
Education & experience required:
- Experience in an industrial drug discovery environment would be an advantage
- First degree in relevant discipline e.g. chemistry, biochemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, data science
- Higher degree (PhD) or equivalent experience in cheminformatics, informatics
Skills & abilities:
- An understanding of key aspects such as biological assays, screening approaches, compound collections and medicinal chemistry
- Practical scripting/programming skills to enable data processing, preferably using Python, R, Pipeline Pilot or KNIME
- Practical knowledge of relevant cheminformatics software and resources such as RDKit, Pipeline Pilot, KNIME, Dotmatics, ChEMBL, SQL
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to forge productive relationships and collaborations both internally and externally
- Evidence of creative thinking, problem solving and the desire to acquire new skills and expertise
- Intellectual curiosity
- Very well organised
- Able to influence and persuade others
- Practical expertise with machine learning and AI
At LifeArc, our ambition is to make life science life changing. We do this by advancing scientific discoveries beyond the lab, faster, so that they can shape the next generation of diagnostics, treatments, and cures.
Working at the cutting edge of translational science and as the early-stage translation specialists, we progress scientific discoveries on their journey to becoming a medicine, diagnostic or intervention that can improve patients’ lives. Our work begins by seeking out innovative science, then helping to develop this to a point where there is a clinical and commercial pathway for others to invest the time and money to take it further forward.
What we can offer you:
Salary will be determined by qualifications and experience along with other exceptional benefits. Because we understand everyone has different requirements, our flexible benefits allow you to choose those which are important to you. Our pension scheme offers employer contributions of up to 12%, private health insurance, and annual leave of 31 days PLUS bank holidays.
Join us, and you’ll have the scope to be creative and take measured risks. You’ll be rewarded for your curiosity, for working as one team, and for learning fast. And you’ll have everything you need to be your best every day.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people from minority ethnic backgrounds, for example, are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At LifeArc we are dedicated in building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so whatever your background or lived experience, if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. Our top priority is finding the best candidate and you may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
We all have potential. At LifeArc, you’ll discover what you can really do with it.
Apply now - and start translating your potential!
Please note we are actively recruiting, and the closing date may be brought forward if we find the right person for this role.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.